Monday, July 6, 2009

Dressing and tending to my planet



"It's a matter of discipline," the little prince told me. "When you are finished washing and dressing each morning, you must tend to your planet."  
from Le Petit Prince  (Antoine de Saint Exupéry, 1943) TAMMYANKA



All my emails go out with the above signature. I read this children's book when I worked at after school program for high risk, low income youth (code for kids whose parents were poor, had lots of trouble, parol officers and such). Beautiful children imprisoned by their circumstances.

The Prince spends his days caring for his "planet", pulling out the baobab trees that are constantly trying to take root there. The trees will make his little planet turn to dust if they are not removed. Throughout the book he is taught to be patient and to do hard work to keep his "planet" in order......(Wiki) 

It is a complex book. They loved it. I think this quote describes my daily attitude.

What inspires you? What do you live by?

be good. do better. live your best.
 TAMMYANKA

No comments: