Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Strong one

image via

My mother says my new do ( or non do) reminds her of Etana. Problem is, she has never actually  seen my hair post locks.  Etana is a Jamaican reggae artiste who bust on the scene after I left Jamaica, but I have grown to love her music.   Check out her song 'Dont Forget'.


There is perhaps no similarity between myself and Etana except that we are both black girls with natural hair. But for my mother who was born in pre-independent Jamaica and came of age in post colonial Jamaica where a Jamaican and black identity was not yet defined; my natural hair, suggests a rebellious act. Surprise, surprise. Mommy dear, I am maroon and so are you. 

She is a little concerned about grad school internship prospects with my untamed hair. She constantly asks me, 'what are going to do with your hair for next semester?'

Mommy....it's done!


Flower hair clips- H&M

be good. do better. look your best.
tammyanka

No comments: