Monday, May 4, 2009

Mamma's Style

Today is my mother’s 50th birthday! She is my hero, friend, biggest supporter and style icon. She taught me to never carry large totes and handbags to evening occasions. Hence my obsession with the clutch! To wear what I had with my biggest smile and to look my best since you never know what the day will bring. She balanced style with comfort and was always creative on a 'third world economy' sized budget. 

With three growing girls and a father who thought clothing was only needed to cover the body, she made fashionable outfits from the scraps of her clients (she was a reluctant seamstress) and ‘remixed’ our clothes by adding patches, laces, buttons and miscellaneous things for a new look.

Since I cannot be in Jamaica with her today, I am wearing a cardigan that originally belonged to her. Both my sisters and I have owned this cardigan at some point.  The cardigan is imitation Calvin Klein, bought in downtown Kingston and commonly found in 'third world countries'.:)


I love you Mommy!

Cardigan-  imitation CK ( originally my mother's circ 1995)
Skirt - F21 (thrifted)
T-shirt - F21
Scarf - H&M

be good. do better. look your best.
tammyanka

No comments: